Changing interface based on network availability

Andrew Cowie andrew at operationaldynamics.com
Mon Jul 16 08:09:39 CEST 2012

On Tue, 2012-07-03 at 08:12 +0200, Guus Sliepen wrote:

> When the interface is automatically created, it is in the down state.

That doesn't seem to be what is happening here. The moment tincd starts
running, the tun0 interface is UP. Is that a bug?

++

So, in addition to that, I've realized what it is I'm looking for: I
don't want tinc to have the interface marked UP unless there is a route
to the internet on some *other* interface.

[Ideally from there, it should only be UP once it actually has a
connection to someone else in the mesh, but it seems I have
misunderstood something somewhere. How can the VPN's tun0 device be UP
if it hasn't proven connectivity to one of the ConnectTos yet?]

I am testing this by yanking the ethernet cable out. If there's no
uplink, then how can tinc view itself as UP?

> > Do these run before or after tinc-up?
>
> The tinc-up script is always the first that runs, tinc-down is the
> very last one. All other scripts run in between.

Maybe I should have asked: "when does tinc-up run? When tincd starts, or
when a connection is obtained to a peer?"

Cheers,

AfC
Sydney