netname by id - possible?

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Tue Jul 3 13:55:14 CEST 2012

On Tue, Jul 03, 2012 at 12:04:17PM +0200, Jan Lühr wrote:

> In our setup I'm thinking of two different vpns:
>
> 1st is for providing IP-connectivity to wireless clients. Each node is spanning a wireless access-points for its clients (routed VPN).
> 2nd is used as a backbone-vpn: Each wireless-access-point spans a batman-adv mesh-cloud (in ad-hoc-mode) for extending the network and roaming between neighboring cells.
> Since ad-hoc links can be unstable or slow, the 2nd vpn provides a layer-2 link using central servers.
>
> In order to keep the broadcast domains small and to reduce the batman-adv & tinc mgmt traffic, we'd like to avoid putting all clients and nodes into a single domain [1]. By that, it seems plausible to run one tinc-instance per domain. In such a scenario we need to assign nodes to domains:  Eg nodes A, B and C use network abc -- nodes X, Y and Z use network xyz. If the instances differ in their tcp/udp-port, we must redistribute our configuration on each change - that's possible but cumbersome. Mapping instances to host-ids would be easier.

I do not know the requirements exactly, but if you don't mind traffic between
two leaf nodes going via the central node, you can use the TunnelServer option
on the central node to stop it from forwarding information about all the leaf
nodes. That will certainly reduce management traffic.

> If this mapping is not supported - we'll just take the redistribution way - anyway, it doesn't hurt to ask :-)

That mapping is indeed not supported.

> [1]  We've seen up to 1MBit/s of mgmt-traffic (tinc + batman-adv) in a network with 15 nodes - which is way too much for our freifunk-network, that uses private ADSL-links

Certainly not 1 Mbit/s continuous traffic? I would only suspect such an amount
for just a second when a node makes a connection.