Automatic configuration of direct routes behind NAT

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Wed Feb 22 17:42:27 CET 2012

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 04:31:11PM +0000, Pedro Côrte-Real wrote:

> > This could indeed be added. At the moment, the Address field is only used when
> > making the initials connections defined by ConnectTo statements.
>
> I didn't realize that. So right now you don't get automatic
> connections even if everyone has public IP addresses specified in
> Address but don't have ConnectTo lines to everyone else? How does the
> example in the blog post where the ping starts high but then goes low
> work then? What discovery is happening?

The automatic connections are happening, however using the IP addresses as seen
by the peers, not as read from the host config files. In fact, you only need to
have the host config files of the nodes you have a ConnectTo to. Information
about all the other nodes is spread around using tinc's protocol. The blog post
you referred to is correct :)