a few problems/questions with tinc

Donald Pearson donaldwhpearson at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 16:28:49 CET 2012

1. Sounds like routing is broken.  Does ping work from Server A to Server B
traversing the same route?

2. I'm pretty sure in iptables you need to define the table first, then the
chain.  You've defining the chain first.. so the table may be assumed as
something other than mangle.. and there you go.

3. No idea.  Can you describe what you mean by "the network wasn't as good
as before"?  How did you know it wasn't as good?  What were you measuring,
or what were the symptoms of the problem?

4. No you do not want 2 nodes in the same physical location connecting to
each other.  That will not provide you with any redundancy.  Your fail-over
idea is feasible.  Some creating scripting could accomplish this through
crontab with the backup server pinging the primary every X seconds,
bringing up the WAN interface and executing tincd when the ping fails X
number of times, and shutting down the WAN interface and tincd once the
ping is successful again.  The WAN interface and Tinc configurations would
be identical on both boxes. This would mean you have a switch between your
wan gateway and these 2 tinc boxes. Or there are solutions like linux-ha.org.
 If you can spare 3 wan IP addresses per site, you could stand up Tinc on
pfsense firewalls, and let pfsense handle failover for you via CARP.
But I would ask myself if I really need redundancy on Tinc like this.  This
design is an upside-down pyramid.  You're still going to have a single
switch between the gateway and the Tinc boxes, that's a single point of
failure.  You're still going to have a single gateway, another single point
of failure.  Building redundancy on top of single points of failure is not
a good approach.  If you really want high availability it needs to start
with a WAN solution with multiple WAN circuits utilizing protocols like BGP.

5. Sorry I don't know anything about the Tinc routing table.

6. Sorry I don't know.