Lion OS X tinc issues.

Nick Hibma nick at anywi.com
Wed Apr 11 13:14:29 CEST 2012

>>> I followed the instructions from:
>>>
>>> http://www.tinc-vpn.org/examples/macbook-install/
>>>
>>> Ubuntu server <-> Ubuntu server works just fine with the same config. Ubuntu server <-> Mac laptop not so much.
>>>
>>> The error I'm getting is:
>>>
>>> 2012-04-10 21:48:44 tinc.l3vpn[52621]: Error while writing to Generic BSD tap device /dev/tun0: Input/output error
>>> 2012-04-10 21:48:44 tinc.l3vpn[52621]: Error while writing to Generic BSD tap device /dev/tun0: Input/output error
>> [...]
>>> # cat tinc.conf
>>> Name = laptop
>>> Mode = switch
>>
>> I think you need to add "Device = /dev/tap0" to your tinc.conf. (Tinc is using
>> the wrong device by default in this case.)
>
> Mac OS X does not seem to have tun/tap support by default. I've found this project:
>
> 	http://tuntaposx.sourceforge.net/
>
> @Guus: You might want to update the macbook-install web page with that info if this solves his problem. I've not used tinc on Mac OS X (only on FreeBSD).

Replying to myself: Installing the package does indeed provide tun and tap devices in /dev and with some shell trickery the network device shows up as well:

root at hitske:~ # ifconfig tap0
ifconfig: interface tap0 does not exist
root at hitske:~ # (ifconfig tap0) < /dev/tap0
tap0: flags=8842<BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
	ether 6a:7c:b1:c4:0b:e8
	open (pid 25392)

In the FAQ for the package it mentions that bridging is however not supported due to lack of support for bridging in the Darwin kernel.

Hope this is of any use.

Nick