Big network, small devices

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Fri Apr 6 01:01:45 CEST 2012

On Thu, Apr 05, 2012 at 07:29:55PM +0200, Ivan Vilata i Balaguer wrote:

> I'm interested in using Tinc for building an overlay network on top of a
> community network.  The overlay may consist of some hundreds of nodes,
> and devices will most probably not be very powerful (Alix or
> Commell-like or even less).  To make the overlay network topology
> resemble the real one as much as possible, all nodes would ConnectTo all
> other nodes.

This is not necessary, you only need one (but better a few for redundancy)
ConnectTo statements. Tinc will figure out how to communicate with all the
other nodes by itself.

> Has anyone worked with a Tinc setup similar to this one?  Do you thik
> Tinc would scale up to a network with so many connections so as to still
> be runnable in so low-powered hardware?

ChaosVPN (a large VPN connecting lots of hackerspaces) currently has 131 nodes
running tinc, and a lot of these are Fonera routers, which have much lower
specs than Alix or Commell boards as far as I know.