redundant network connection and tinc

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Thu Nov 3 11:30:35 CET 2011

On Wed, Nov 02, 2011 at 08:16:42PM +0330, Siavash Sameni wrote:

> at the moment i'm managing a distributed network country wide , which i
> want to use tinc on all the machines so we can have direct access to all
> the servers (including those behind firewall) .
> the problem arises with the fact that , my firewalls are connect to two
> separate networks , one is actually a country wide network , and the other
> is internet access ,
> is there a way , that tinc would use a path as it's preferred path to
> connect to the host , and the other as backup for failover , so if one path
> goes down , the other would be available .

You can have multiple Address statements in host config files. Tinc will try to
connect to the first Address. If it fails, it will try the next. So if a host
can be reached by two IP addresses, one for each path, add Address statements
for each address to its host config file. However, although tinc will do
fail-over, it will not automatically fail-back when the preferred path is up
again.