Weird behaviour between Windows Vista & Windows 7 VPN - can anyone help?

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Tue Jun 14 13:08:54 CEST 2011

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 06:45:02PM -0400, Alan S. Lawee wrote:

> I followed your instructions as best I could, Guus.
>
> I set the Office TAP adapter IP to 192.168.1.207, and the Home TAP adapter
> IP to 192.168.2.208 (Should it have been 1.208 ?)

You can use 192.168.1.7 on the TAP adapter at Office and 192.168.2.8 at Home,
there is no need to have a different address than on the LAN interface.

> Now I am getting a strange message about 'Bogus data received from [the home
> PC]' (see DebugTraceOffice110613.txt) and the Office PC (Windows 7) is
> closing the connection.

That means something is wrong with the public/private keys. To be sure, just
remove them completely, both from the host config files, and delete
rsa_key.priv, and then create them again.

> Some additional information that might be relevant.  I'm using Norton
> Internet Security 2011 on both PCs, and I have opened Port 655 on both
> machines in both directions.  Tinc v1.0.14 on both machines.

If you use a firewall, you have to ensure that it allows access from the TAP
adapter as well.

It was not clear from your first mail, but if you want the computer at Home to
be able to see all the other machines at the Office, then you need to have a
completely different setup.