question from openvpn user, how to "redirect-gateway" in tincd

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Thu Nov 11 00:01:25 CET 2010

On Tue, Nov 09, 2010 at 06:11:48PM +0100, ZioPRoTo (Saverio Proto) wrote:

> To configure clients in OpenVPN there was this directive called:
> --redirect-gateway
[...]
> In know in tinc I can implement this easily using the tinc-up script
> (when I have Linux/Mac clients), but I have two problems.
>
> The current gateway value is in some env variable ? Or I have to write
> my own script to grep that out or there is something already available
> ?

You grep it out of the current routing table. I have added an example to the
wiki:

http://tinc-vpn.org/examples/redirect-gateway/

There are other ways to do it, but this is fairly simple and robust, I think.

> What if I have windows client ? I have to write a tinc-up script in
> Windows Style script ? I have no idea how to use windows :(

I have no idea either. You can use the netsh command to get and manipulate the
routing table. On Windows, tinc expects tinc-up.bat, hosts/server-up.bat, et
cetera. I have no idea if Style scripts would work. If anyone using Windows has
an idea, please tell us.

Also, if there are BSD or MacOS/X users: many examples on the wiki contain
Linux specific scripts, it would help if these were ported to other platforms
as well.