No connection between nodes on same LAN

Rob Townley rob.townley at gmail.com
Tue May 11 10:38:53 CEST 2010

On Sun, May 9, 2010 at 10:12 AM, Eric Estabrooks <eric at urbanrage.com> wrote:
> On 05/09/10 07:09, Daniel Schall wrote:
>>> Thanks for the diagram  -  what did you use to create it?
>>
>> The diagram was made using Microsoft Visio 2007.
>>
>>> First, what version of tinc are you using on your nodes  -  is it 1.0.13?
>>
>> I am using tinc 1.013, the pre-compiled version from the website. All the
>> nodes are running windows.
>>
>>> A third option that might work is when doing PMTU discovery after
>> exchanging
>>> session keys between Node1 and Node2 (via their meta connections with
>> Node3 of
>>> course), that they also send some MTU probes to the broadcast address. The
>>> receiving node will update the known address of the peer when it receives
>>> valid UDP packet, whereever it came from.
>>
>>> I think the third option is easiest to implement, I don't know if it will
>> work
>>> though. I'm a little busy this month so if you or someone else wants to
>> try to
>>> implement it, please go ahead :)
>>
>> I am curious to implement it, but I am also rather busy.
>> Currently, I am studying the sources to evaluate, what to implement:
>> a) a broadcast discovery algorithm to find all nodes in the same network
>> segment OR
>> b) making each node send its endpoints to all other nodes to let them choose
>> what endpoint they want to contact the node
>>

> I'd guess you'll have to go with option a.  Because even though their
> ips may appear to put them on the same lan, it's not a guarantee that
> they are and you might have one or more nodes that have them same
> internal ip but are at different locations.
>

> Eric

My bad, i guess i must have had extra ConnectTo statements in my
infrastructure.  I know i was getting optimal speeds and bandwidth but
not sure what i am getting now because when i ping another node, it
says it is taking as long 4 seconds, but hundreds of those multi
second echo requests are repeating.  Looks like the same ping sequence
number repeats many times.

Wouldn't IPv6 help solve this with all its link-local / site-local /
and global addresses.  Maybe that is the reason Microsoft is doing
something so similar to tinc (called Direct Access) but it requires
IPv6 (not to mention new Win2008R2 servers and Win7 workstations).
Just a thought, i havenot toyed with those crazy long addresses yet.
http://tinc-vpn.org/examples/ipv6-network/

p.s. anyone remember the open source Linux / java analogues to Visio?
Is it Dia?  Oh yes, it is Dia and the link is in the example url
above.