No connection between nodes on same LAN

Daniel Schall Daniel-Schall at web.de
Sun May 9 14:09:42 CEST 2010

> Thanks for the diagram  -  what did you use to create it?

The diagram was made using Microsoft Visio 2007.

> First, what version of tinc are you using on your nodes  -  is it 1.0.13?

I am using tinc 1.013, the pre-compiled version from the website. All the
nodes are running windows.

> A third option that might work is when doing PMTU discovery after
exchanging
> session keys between Node1 and Node2 (via their meta connections with
Node3 of
> course), that they also send some MTU probes to the broadcast address. The
> receiving node will update the known address of the peer when it receives
> valid UDP packet, whereever it came from.

> I think the third option is easiest to implement, I don't know if it will
work
> though. I'm a little busy this month so if you or someone else wants to
try to
> implement it, please go ahead :)

I am curious to implement it, but I am also rather busy.
Currently, I am studying the sources to evaluate, what to implement:
a) a broadcast discovery algorithm to find all nodes in the same network
segment OR
b) making each node send its endpoints to all other nodes to let them choose
what endpoint they want to contact the node

In the meantime, I've found out why the nodes do not communicate over their
public NAT-addresses in some circumstances.
It's the router that blocks UDP packets from other sources than the one the
connection was originally established, especially packets from "behind" the
router that get passed to a port at its public interface.
That will also prevent other nodes to contact the ones behind the router,
since the packets they send come from other endpoints than the one the
internal node connected to in the first place.

Best

Daniel