Windows 7 support? Should I be able to PING over the VPN?

Alan S. Lawee info at polygration.com
Sun Jul 18 06:52:59 CEST 2010

Hello,

2 questions:

1.        I see from the archives that Vista support requires downloading an
updated TAP driver from OpenVPN.net.  I have just downloaded tinc 1.0.13 and
was not able to get the TAP driver to work on my Windows 7 computer.  Should
I assume that 1.0.13 doesn't have the most current TAP driver and I should
use the one I downloaded from OpenVPN ?  There seems to be other issues with
Windows 7 - the RSA keys are not stored in the same place by default as they
are for Windows XP, so there may be other configuration changes to make.

2.       I've installed tinc on two Windows XP systems that are on the same
LAN & subnet (192.168.1.0/24), but I configured them both to use a different
subnet (192.168.3.0/24).  After adding routes at each end, I am able to ping
the local interface on each machine, but not the remote interface.  Does
this mean that something is not installed or configured properly, or is this
normal behavior?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Alan