Don't deprecate TCPOnly please!

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Thu Feb 25 14:58:02 CET 2010

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 11:45:43AM +0300, Vladislav wrote:

> What i am to say is that traffic flow should not only "fall back" but be
> really flexible and dynamic, being able to probe the channel (i.e. Internet)
> constantly during the session and dynamically choose the best possible way to
> transfer traffic.
>
> Respect to the Creators, tinc is a really nice project, and it's maintained.
> If developers have any extra time and extend it's  functionality with, say,
> channel probing and load balancing like in CloudVPN or better, combined with
> tinc's UDP capability, that would be a really fantastic solution!

That would require a lot of work, and if someone else is willing to do that, I
welcome their contributions. But I would like to focus more on getting tinc 1.1
ready (which would allow much more control over a running tincd) and then on to
2.0 (with much better authentication and authorization of nodes).

An intermediate option might be to open up tinc more for external routing
daemons, which would then be able to use their own algorithms to distribute
traffic.

> FYI, have a look at his poster http://e-x-a.org/stuff/cloudvpn-poster.jpg in
> the mid-bottom section. I haven't tried cloudvpn yet (as it does not have UDP
> support), but this particular idea sound reasonable.

Hm, except that latency != bandwidth, and in large VPNs there would be many
possible paths to consider.