Don't deprecate TCPOnly please!

Kevin Day toasty at dragondata.com
Wed Feb 24 23:49:51 CET 2010

Hey, Tinc developers!

I'm not sure if anyone else has brought this up, but we've got a rather good reason for using TCP, even though UDP will actually form a working connection. Anyone on Comcast's "small business" service is forced to use an SMC cable modem/router. Its NAT implementation is capable of letting tinc's UDP tunnels work fine, but they limit a single UDP stream to 1mbps. I've confirmed with some techies at Comcast that this is by design. The only workaround for us to get a fast tunnel is to switch to TCP.

I'm totally happy with the option being not recommended for most users, but I'd like to ask that it not be completely removed in future versions.

Thanks!

-- Kevin