intel wifi and bridging - have u done it?

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Fri Feb 5 10:00:08 CET 2010

On Thu, Feb 04, 2010 at 08:16:40PM -0600, Rob Townley wrote:

> > Do you really need to bridge on the XP clients? This is only necessary if they
> > need to forward packets from the VPN to their LAN. If that is not necessary,
> > then you don't need to bridge at all.
[...]
> So yes Guus, normally mobile PCs should not have to forward packets
> from non tinc nodes on their ethernet segment to the other ethernet
> segment.  However, we were hoping to use some of the wireless clients
> as connectors for expensive medical equipment running vxworks, Win95,
> Win98, Win2000.

Ok. But if it cannot work with your wireless hardware, you would have to use
wired connections instead, or route instead of bridge, or use different
wireless cards as Vladislav suggests.

> By the way, tinc should still install and work on
> Win2000, right?  i noticed Win2000 was removed, now it just says XP,
> Vista, 7.

Ah, tinc supports it, but the installer on the website was compiled for XP and
later versions, so that it properly supports IPv6. I will make a Windows 2000
installer available soon.

> So if tinc.conf has mode=switch, it does not mean that clients network
> interfaces have-to-have bridging enabled.
> Just the nodes at boundaries have-to-have bridging enabled.

Yes.

> i was told that all tinc nodes must have the same mode.  Mixing of
> nodes seems to work for me, now.  i have "router" nodes talking to
> "switch" nodes.

I doubt that is a healthy configuration. They really should all use the same
Mode.

> I removed the subnet entries from the host files.
> Currently, tinc-up has tinc 5.0.0.0/8 ip addresses.

You really should not use 5.0.0.0/8. Although it is currently unallocated IPv4
space, it could be used for public networks next year. There are 3 blocks you
can use for private networks:

10.0.0.0/8
172.16.0.0/12
192.168.0.0/16

> Can i leave those tinc ip's in while in switch mode or do i have to them out?
> Can i leave them in for the nodes that are in switch mode and bridged?

You can leave the Subnets in, nodes in switch mode will just ignore them.