intel wifi and bridging - have u done it?

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Fri Feb 5 01:18:06 CET 2010

On Fri, Feb 05, 2010 at 12:56:02AM +0100, Sven-Haegar Koch wrote:

> > changed mode from router to switch on 2 Linux and 2 WinXP nodes.
> > configured Linux bridging per the website and that worked for
> > hardwired ethernet over cat5.
[...]
> Just bridging between a wifi interface in client mode (connected to an
> AP as a client) and another interface (nothing tinc related, the
> same goes for ethernet) does not work.
>
> An accesspoint accepts only packets from mac addresses that have
> registered with it before (association+authentication).

Indeed, this is mostly true, but there are cards that can sniff packets from
other wireless cards, which would allow this to work.

> Possible workarounds are things like mac-address-spoofing/replacing or
> proxy-arp, but thats a not so trivial setup.

On Linux, proxy-ARP is rather trivial to set up:

echo 1 >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/all/proxy_arp
echo 1 >/proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/all/proxy_ndp

But on Windows, I wouldn't know how to do it.

> > For the wifi wireless xp clients, i didnt have any luck.  Maybe i did
> > something wrong, but it seems so easy to create a bridge in xp.  highlight
> > 2 or more nics,  right click and choose bridge.  Did it numerous tmes years
> > ago, but not sure w wifi.

Do you really need to bridge on the XP clients? This is only necessary if they
need to forward packets from the VPN to their LAN. If that is not necessary,
then you don't need to bridge at all.