Trouble adding 2nd vpn

Donald Pearson donaldwhpearson at gmail.com
Tue Dec 28 16:14:16 CET 2010

> > So I am attempting to add a 2nd vpn to my existing setup and for some
> reason
> > I can't seem to get it to work quite right.
> >
> > The issue I'm having right now is successful execution of the tinc-up
> > script.  It's probably something obvious but after several days I still
> > don't see what I'm missing.  I can see in syslog that
> > "Script tinc-up exited with non-zero status 1"
>
> Try running the script by hand after you started tinc.

Works fine when I run the tinc-up script by hand after the system has
booted.

> > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  887 2010-03-07 11:09 rsa_key.priv
> > -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1679 2010-12-24 11:09 rsa_key.priv
>
> Why are your private keys world readable?

Artifact of migrating my installation and copying everything over to an
anonymous access cifs share until the new system was ready.  Thanks for
pointing that out.  Looks like I'm going to have a lot of permissions fixing
to do.

> > donald at Donald-TincVM:/etc/tinc$ cat ./alan/tinc-up
> > #!/bin/sh
> > ifconfig alan 0.0.0.0
> > ifconfig alan up
> >
> > brctl addif bridge alan
> > #
>
> Hm, that looks fine to me... but try running it by hand and see what kind
> of
> error message it prints.

So, I wasn't getting an error message running the script by hand.

What occurred to me this morning while re-reading this is that perhaps the
tinc-up script for the tinc.alan instance is running too soon, and attempted
to add the alan interface to a bridge that has not yet been created by the
tinc.vpn instance.

So, I removed alan from nets.boot, and at the bottom of the tinc.vpn tinc-up
script I added /user/sbin/tincd -n alan

Now, everything is coming up as it should.  Apparently when tinc.alan is
configured to start by way of nets.boot, it's being started too soon for my
particular arrangement.