Connecting two office networks with Tinc...

Carlos Chavez cursor at telecomabmex.com
Wed Dec 15 17:34:02 CET 2010

On Wed, 2010-12-15 at 07:32 +0100, sich wrote:
> Le 15/12/2010 01:27, Carlos Chavez a écrit :
> > 	Hi.  I am trying to connect two offices using tinc.  I have two servers
> > running CentOS 5.5, each has two network interfaces with ETH0 being the
> > internal network and ETH1 connected directly to the Internet (public
> > IP).  The servers do not do any NAT, we simply want to use them to link
> > the two internal networks together via tinc.
> >
> > 	I have followed a couple HOWTO articles to configure tinc but so far I
> > can only ping the other server (using the internal IP).  When I try to
> > ping anything on the other network I do not get any response.  How can I
> > get some useful debug information to know where the packets are being
> > dropped?
>
> Hello,
>
> Have you add the network information in the host config file ?
> If yes you probably have a routing issue... Do you have add a static
> route to the other network on both server ?
> Can you ping the internal network interface on the distant server ?
>
> Tinc "only" create a new interface, you have to manage the routing table
> yourself.

	I created the routes and activated IPV4 forwarding on both servers as
per the documentation.  At this moment I think that the main router at
each site is not properly configured to route the VPN networks and that
is why I get no answer from remote machines.  Unfortunately I do not
control the other router so I have to wait until they can confirm
routing is properly implemented.

	Thank you for your response.

Carlos Chávez Prats
Director de Tecnología