Is there a way to retreive info from tinc?

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Mon Dec 13 18:04:11 CET 2010

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 02:41:29PM +0100, ZioPRoTo (Saverio Proto) wrote:

> > Is there way to request status info from a running tinc daemon?
> > Like retreive a list of subnets the tinc network is aware of?
> > Or list active nodes etc..
>
> As far as I know you can send signals to a running tincd to gather
> information about the running tincd process.
[...]
> maybe some core developer can extend my answer to this question.

That is correct. Send the USR2 signal and tinc will dump a list of Nodes, Edges
and Subnets to the syslog. The list of Subnets is similar to a routing table,
sorted in the same way as the "route" command prints routes, so the first
matching Subnet starting from the top will be used to decide which node a
packet to send to. However, tinc lists all known Subnets, even those from nodes
who might not be reachable. If a node is not reachable, tinc will skip its
Subnets when trying to find a match.

Tinc 1.1 has a command line utility to get a dump of all the Subnets more
easily. There is also an experimental GUI. It's not released yet, but it works
and you can get it from the git repository:

git clone -b 1.1 http://tinc-vpn.org/git/tinc

or if you don't want to use git and just want a tarball download:

http://tinc-vpn.org/git/browse?p=tinc;a=snapshot;h=refs/heads/1.1;sf=tgz