"Mode Switch" and "Tunnelserver Yes" cause unnecessary traffic to clients (proposed patch)

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Sat Apr 10 13:49:20 CEST 2010

On Tue, Apr 06, 2010 at 06:43:30PM +0200, ZioPRoTo (Saverio Proto) wrote:

> I don't want clients to speak directly, but I want all the
> communications to pass by the server.
>
> My configuration is:
> Mode = switch
> TunnelServer = Yes

I think it would be better if you set IndirectData = yes in the server's
tinc.conf, that would force all traffic to go via the server.  TunnelServer is
not really compatible with switch mode (unless you configure MAC Subnets
statically).

> I need layer2 because of some ethernet stuff on the clients.

Tinc needs to announce the MAC addresses it learns, so you cannot use
TunnelServer then.

> But I should add every Mac address of the tap interfaces of the clients.
> This is not feasible, because I also guess these mac addresses change
> everytime a tap interface is created.

You can change the MAC address of an interface to a static one.

> I understand that mine is a unusual setup and that tunnelmode is experimental.
>
> If we understand together the intended behavior of tinc in this case,
> I can code a proper and clean patch and submit it to the mailing list.

Check if the IndirectData option works for you.

Anyway, why do you want to prevent clients from communicating directly to each
other? That would be more efficient.