tcp-only still needed?

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Tue Nov 17 19:45:03 CET 2009

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 06:29:35PM +0100, Andreas Ziegler wrote:

> So i have to put
> >> PMTU = 1280
> >> PMTUDiscovery = yes
> really in every host config file?

Just in each tincd's own host config file. It indeed is a bit confusing,
perhaps I'll make it so that it will also read these options from tinc.conf.

> We first do set PMTU to 1280 to be below what ADSL uses and assumed
> PMTUDiscovery would then set it to the best value....

That's correct. Although with 1.0.11 it is not necessary to add PMTU = 1280; if
the path MTU is unknown (which it is before PMTU discovery is finished) it will
forward packets via TCP so they will always arrive at the destination.