Simple Dial In Setup

Matthias Redl mr at getdesigned.at
Mon Nov 16 09:02:33 CET 2009

Hi,

I'm currently trying to setup a VPN with tinc, which allows employees to
dial into our company LAN (private IPs) with their company laptop.

What I have done:
- read the tinc documentation
- read the faqs
- read the samples
- installed tinc with an ubuntu package on a virtual machine inside our
lan (but not configured it yet)

>From what I've read so far I believe that the VPN must always have a
different IP Subnet than the private LAN itself, and therefor use
routing. Is that correct? But I would actually prefer to assign IPs from
our current LAN to the VPN Clients.

Our current ip setup:
Local servers and printers: 192.168.139.1 - 192.168.139.99
Local DHCP range for workstations: 192.168.139.100 - 192.168.139.200

My wish would be to assign IPs starting with 192.168.139.201 to VPN
users (either manually or better also via DHCP / tinc). From what I have
read maybe the switch setup might fit, but I'm currently a bit lost.

Is that possible? If yes, is one of the sample setups adequate for me?.

Thanks for your help,
Matthias