1 Server, Multiple Client Setup

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Thu Mar 5 22:36:54 CET 2009

On Thu, Mar 05, 2009 at 07:43:55PM +0000, Andrew Barlow wrote:

> I managed to get a connection from masterserver to client1 up and running
> all fine! So, thanks for that!

Great!

> However, when I knocked masterserver off the network by killing Tinc... it
> knocked the other 2 machines off the VPN. Is that because they couldnt see
> eachother in the first place because of the reason above? Or does
> masterserver have to stay on because the "ConnectTo" setting is set on all
> the clients?

Unless you add ConnectTo = client2 to client1's tinc.conf or vice versa, the
clients can only communicate as long as masterserver is up.  For tinc 2.0
certificate based authorisation will be used that allows clients to
authenticate each other without the need for a third party to be online.

> Is this normal behavior?

Yes.

> If I had 2 clients on completely diffrent external IP's.. would they still
> communicate after they'd authenticated against Masterserver, even if
> Masterserver then went offline?

No.