UDP and NAT

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Wed Apr 1 13:04:38 CEST 2009

On Wed, Apr 01, 2009 at 02:41:43AM +0200, Keiji Costantini wrote:

> I saw in git repository that tinc fallbacks to TCP-Only if it can't
> estabilish a double-UDP connection, that is fine. But shouldn't tinc get
> the ability to use an inbound tcp connection to answer back the remote
> host? (maybe setting incoming ip and leaving port blank or something)

The problem in tinc is not single connections, it is the full-mesh capability
which is hard to get working in a NAT-proof way.  The protocol uses the source
address + portnumber of UDP packet to determine which node it came from. Simply
disregarding the portnumber is not a full solution. I'm trying to rewrite the
way tinc handles UDP, but it is pretty invasive. If I have something remotely
working I'll commit it.