tinc and wireless mesh

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Wed Jul 30 15:13:06 CEST 2008

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 08:49:57AM +0200, Szili Dávid wrote:

> I'm trying to make a wireless mesh network with b.a.t.m.a.n. protocol,
> and I would like to secure the wireless links with tinc. My test network
> is 2 wireless routers with OpenWRT Kamikaze firmware, and the network
> topology is the following:
[...]
> My aim is to protect only the wireless links (the tow router) and the
> server with the VPN, but not the client node wich connects to the
> mesh-node by UTP. So far, I've made aVPN link with the 2 touters and the
> server, and at the mesh-node's tinc-up script, every traffic is goning
> through the VPN from the mesh-node, but the client can't reach the
> internet (as I saw from the tinc's logs, the traffinc goes to the
> gateway, but then stops).

Could you also send those logs? Anyway, most of the configuration looks
fine. However, you wrote that the client uses IP address 192.168.1.180.
Although the mesh node is properly set up to forward everything to the
gateway node, the gateway does not know that traffic for 192.168.1.180
should be sent back to the mesh node. The gateway's routing table says
packets for all 192.168.1.* addresses should go to eth0. You either need
to add an extra route on the gateway, set up proxy-arp or bridge the
eth0 interfaces of the mesh and gateway node to their tap0 interfaces.