TAP unistall issue Windows XP

Graham Smith graham at watchmanager.net
Fri Dec 26 17:56:01 CET 2008

Hello,

I've been experimenting with tinc to get to know it and I got to point where
the tinc service wouldn't start anymore.

Starting with debug options gave me a  ".. not a usable Windows TAP Device..
File not found"  report.

After a lengthy period of digging, I discovered that my registry was
littered with connection bindings for all the previous install/uninstall's
i'd done with the TAP Driver.

Cleaning up this mess fixed the problem and tinc was running again.

Google found this report
http://osdir.com/ml/network.openvpn.user/2003-12/msg00110.html

While this report suggests that the issue has been fixed in XP, my recent
experience suggests otherwise?

Doing an uninstall of the TAP Driver does not remove the registry bindings.
A reboot makes no difference.

Appears to be a Windows problem as uninstalling some other virtual driver
resulted in the same situation.

Anyone have experience/knowledge on this issue ?

Kind regards
Graham Smith