Signal tinc under Windows

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Tue Dec 23 22:20:42 CET 2008

On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 11:04:51PM +0200, Graham Smith wrote:

> Yeah, one can control the service externally but correct me if I am wrong:
> restarting tinc service would kill existing connections.

It would. Although most applications do not mind if the network is gone for
just a second.

> I am building a small Windows config tool to make it easier for
> technologically challenged persons to use tinc as VPN solution.
>
> It would be nice to be able to choose "Connect To" from a menu and have the
> tool tell tinc about the new host/s without restarting the service.

That's great! I think it would be best to look at tinc 1.1 then, because as
Scott Lamb mentioned it supports sending commands and receiving data via a
socket. I think this currently only works on UNIX, but unlike signals there
should be a Windows counterpart for local sockets. Perhaps you know the best
way for two programs to talk to each other on the same machine on Windows? It
should be something similar to a pipe or a TCP socket.