Virtual LAN over Tinc?

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Sun Dec 7 10:21:20 CET 2008

On Sat, Dec 06, 2008 at 04:36:18PM -0500, Donald Pearson wrote:

> I actually sent this to Guus directly before realizing I could send it to
> this mailing list.  So, Sorry about that Guus!!

No problem.

[...]
> However, donald cannot talk to anything on irfan's lan.   And irfan cannot
> talk to anything on donald's lan.
[...]
> I created the bridge because I thought I would need
> to bridge the local area connection with the Tinc connection, to expose the
> networks behind eac host.  However, when I bridge them, I get Loopback
> errors.

You are using switch mode, so you should either bridge the tinc interface with
the LAN interface, set up proxy-ARP or manually add gateway routes so that
packets from donald to irfan's LAN get forwarded by irfan's OS. Alternatively,
don't use switch mode if you don't really need it.

But what kind of loopback errors are you getting?