a few tinc questions

Lonnie Cumberland lonnie at outstep.com
Fri May 25 01:34:45 CEST 2007

Greetings All,

Can someone please try to answer a few questions for me regarding TINC
so that it might clear up some things that I can trying to get a better
picture on.

1. I am trying to understand the ideas that allow a TINC host to join
multiple networks which raise questions. What prevents a user from
joining multiple networks without authorization to join. How is that
authorization managed and can a type of network administrator who sets
up the network revoke someones privilege to be on that network. If
someone, ie.. a particular network creator, is in charge of that network
then can that admin control the access to the net.

2. To have access multiple networks then does there have to be multiple
daemons running on the system. ie.. does there have to be a daemon for
each network that the user may wish to have access to? Also, is there a
limit to the number of daemons that a single user can be running?

3. If a users has access to multiple networks then can I presume that
the act of having multiple daemons running on a single machine does not
allow other users on network "A" to access network "B". My guess is that
users should not be able to access the other network if they do not have
permission and authorization certificates, right?

4. What are some of the anticipated scalability limitations of TINC?
Can a TINC network scale into the 1000's without major problems?

5. When a TINC daemon becomes active, I would like to prevent the host
that it is running on from seeing anything except what is on the
accessible VPN networks. ie... When TINC is ON then the users machine is
no longer visible on the unsecure non-vpn network and can only be see on
the VPN networks. When it is OFF then the machine acts like a normal
non-VPN machine without TINC.

I hope that these are relatively easy to answer and would greatly
appreciate as much information that someone is willing to share with me
on these types of things.

Cheers,
Lonnie