Setup tinc for "Road warrior"?

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Mon Apr 24 19:56:34 CEST 2006

On Sat, Apr 22, 2006 at 07:12:09PM +0800, Paolo Alexis Falcone wrote:

> I'm having some trouble connecting to the tinc VPN I've setup for my client.
> Basically I would like to connect to the LAN of my client (as I'm currently
> thousands of miles away and won't be back for a month and a half) to continue
> with the development of an in-house ERP.
>
> I've setup the router (a Linksys router running the stock firmware) to forward
> both TCP and UDP packets port 655 to 192.168.100.248 (which hosts the tinc
> daemon).
>
> Problem now is that when I try to ping the other host (either way) I couldn't
> seem to have them see each other.

Let's have a look at your configuration:

> tinc.conf:
> Name=pfalcone
> ConnectTo=erp
> AddressFamily=ipv4
> Mode=switch
> TCPonly=yes

If you use TCPonly=yes, you don't have to forward UDP on your router of course.

> tinc-up:
> #!/bin/sh
> ifconfig $INTERFACE 192.168.100.244 netmask 255.255.0.0
>
> hosts/pfalcone:
> Subnet=192.168.100.244/32

With Mode=switch, Subnet statements are ignored.

> hosts/erp:
> Address=283.870.215.224 (replace with some real IP address of the firewall
> here)
> Subnet=192.168.100.248/32

[...]

Your configuration looks OK, but check your routing table (route -n),
the firewall rules on erp and pfalcone (iptables -L -v -x -n), and the
output of tinc running with the -d5 -D options.

    Guus Sliepen <guus at sliepen.eu.org>