Cannot open /dev/net/tun

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Fri Apr 21 17:38:17 CEST 2006

On Fri, Apr 21, 2006 at 05:18:05PM +0200, Torsten Schlabach wrote:

> On two quite different servers I have the problem that I get this error
> message:
>
> tincd 1.0.4 (Apr 21 2006 16:20:48) starting, debug level 3
> Could not open /dev/net/tun: No such device
> Terminating
>
> The device is there:
>
> ~ # ls -l /dev/net/tun
> crw-------    1 root     root      10, 200 Sep  9  2002 /dev/net/tun
>
> As I did not create it myself my best guess would have been that it
> comes with the distro.

Try "modprobe tun" and restart tinc, if it works add that command to the
tinc-up script.

> Is there a way to find out if the tap/tun device is compiled into the
> kernel?

If "modprobe tun" says "module tun not found", then either it is not
compiled at all or it is compiled into the kernel. In the latter case
tinc would have worked without problems.

    Guus Sliepen <guus at sliepen.eu.org>