Tinc on Windows 2003, Event-Log-Messages

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Thu Sep 1 23:35:58 CEST 2005

On Thu, Sep 01, 2005 at 06:36:46PM +0200, Christoph Pfeifer wrote:

> I'am running tinc 1.0.4 on a Windows 2003 Server nearly succesfull. In the
> event -log I've got the following warning every minute (in German):
>
> "Die Beschreibung der Ereigniskennung ( 0 ) in ( tinc.service-vpn ) wurde
> nicht gefunden. Der lokale Computer verfügt nicht über die zum Anzeigen der
> Meldungen von einem Remotecomputer erforderlichen
> Registrierungsinformationen oder DLL-Meldungsdateien. Möglicherweise müssen
> Sie das Flag /AUXSOURCE= zum Ermitteln der Beschreibung verwenden. Weitere
> Informationen stehen in Hilfe und Support. Ereignisinformationen:

The above is because Windows expects some kind of localisation file for
log messages for each application, and prints this huge warning for
every message if your application doesn't provide it (like tinc).

> Got unexpected request 4."

That is the error generated by tinc, I must say I've never saw this one
appear before, but my guess is that the tinc daemon you are connecting
to has been started with --bypass-security. Do not use that option.

    Guus Sliepen <guus at sliepen.eu.org>