tink solution and mesh

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Wed Nov 2 11:34:23 CET 2005

On Wed, Nov 02, 2005 at 10:12:44AM +0100, Costa Luciana wrote:

> I read that one feature of tink vpn solution is the Automatic Full Mesh
> Routing support that is defined  as: "regardless of how you set up the
> tinc daemons to connect to each other, VPN traffic is always (if
> possible) sent directly to the destination, without going through
> intermediate" hops.
>
> What this means?
>
> I don't understand how this work. Can you please give me some
> information about it?

It is simple: if you have three nodes, A B and C, and A is connected to
B, and B to C, then if A wants to send something to C, it will
automatically set up a direct connection between A and C, bypassing node
B.

> I have the following problem. I have an ad-hoc network, for example five
> laptop A, B, C, D, E.  They are connected in the following manner:
[...]
> My question is: is this configuration possible using tink solution?

Yes.

> The mesh feature is needed?

The mesh feature is always on in tinc. It is not necessary for your
setup, but it improves performance.

    Guus Sliepen <guus at sliepen.eu.org>