Tinc OSPF involving bridge

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Mon Dec 5 11:08:57 CET 2005

On Sat, Dec 03, 2005 at 09:15:29AM -0500, John Halfpenny wrote:

> I have a routing situation where Tinc looks like it could come in
> extremely useful, but I have a query I hope someone can cast an eye
> on, as I'm unsure whether Tinc can help me here.
>
> I currently have a Quagga OSPF linux router which connects LAN A to
> LAN B over the quickest available of two routes (both routes at both
> ends connect to Quagga boxes to prevent collisions).
>
> One of the routes involves connecting over a wireless bridge (which
> can't be set to routed mode) and the other connects over a routed
> wireless connection.
>
> i.e.
>
> LAN A OSPF --- W/less (NOIP)  --- Wireless (NOIP) --- LAN B OSPF
>            +-- W/less 1.1.1.1 --- W/less 1.1.1.2  --+
>
> This is basically to allow redundancy of the NOIP wireless, which
> drops at the first hint of fog or mist. :-)
>
> Is it possible to configure Tinc to connect over one of two possible
> routes like this?

I don't see why not.

> And if so, is it also possible over a bridged connection which has no
> external IP address (by specifying the interface in the config file)?

Tinc encapsulates traffic in TCP and UDP packets, so you need to have
IPv4 or IPv6 addresses on both sides. But a wireless bridge doesn't mean
you don't have those addresses on both sides.

> I realise there are other ways to do this, but I'm hoping that my
> the site at the end of the Wireless to connect to other external VPNs.

That will work.

> If you've had the patience to read this far, then thanks for any
> advice you can offer!

It should be possible to do what you want with tinc, so go ahead and try
to set it up, if you run into problems feel free to ask for more help!

    Guus Sliepen <guus at sliepen.eu.org>