Could not open /dev/net/tun

Guus Sliepen guus at sliepen.eu.org
Thu Sep 30 17:24:32 CEST 2004

On Thu, Sep 30, 2004 at 09:29:25AM -0500, Henry Burbano wrote:

> I am triying to configure a VPN, my configuration files are:
>
> Device = /dev/net/tun                 #Device name.. Leave as is.
> Interface = vpn                       #Virtual Interface name. Give any suitable name.
[...]
> tincd -n testVPN --debug=5 -D
> tincd 1.0.2 (May  5 2004 14:06:12) starting, debug level 5
> Could not open /dev/net/tun                 #Device name.. Leave as is.: No such file or directory
> Not restarting.

The log output should've given you a hint: you can't add comments
halfway on a line. Only lines which start directly with a # are
considered comments (this is mentioned in the manpage and manual).
So remove the comments or put them on their own lines, and don't forget
to remove any trailing spaces (because unfortunately in 1.0.2 tinc
doesn't strip them).

    Guus Sliepen <guus at sliepen.eu.org>