Connected, but what now?

Guus Sliepen guus at sliepen.eu.org
Wed Sep 15 23:08:11 CEST 2004

On Wed, Sep 15, 2004 at 12:18:26PM +0100, Paul Littlefield wrote:

> OK, we have done all those changes, but still cannot see each other's machines.
>
> I can ping 10.20.40.1 and Gavin receives packets, but Gavin cannot ping 10.0.1.111

If you look at gavin's route table, you see that 10.0.0.0/8 is routed to
its Ethernet interface instead of the TAP-Win32 interface. It is
probably best to change the netmask of the Ethernet interface to
255.255.255.0.

If that doesn't help, then maybe the firewall (bookpc) is masquerading
packets. In that case, try adding TCPOnly = yes to hosts/gentoo and
restart tinc, or try installing tinc on bookpc instead of on gentoo.

> Questions...
>
> 1. Should Gavin be able to see 'gentoo' in Windows Explorer?

If you use a WINS server, yes. Otherwise, no.

> 2. Should Gavin be able to ConnectTo 'gentoo' from the Windows Tinc daemon?

If it can reach the gentoo machine, yes, but you probably need to have set up
portforwarding on bookpc for that.

> 3. Does it make a difference whether we have /24 or /32 or our netmask settings?

If you are talking about the Subnets, the answer is no if you only want
to communicate between 10.20.40.1 and 10.0.1.111. If you want to reach
other hosts, yes.

    Guus Sliepen <guus at sliepen.eu.org>