checking that all tunnels are up

Zoilo zoilo at xs4all.nl
Tue Jun 1 23:11:14 CEST 2004

On my VPN-gateway, I like to check every minute it all tunnels
(VPN-clients) are up.

Here in Holland, we have fixed IPs on ADSL, so I could do it using
"netstat -anp | grep tincd" etc.

Now I have some customers in Belgium, with dynamic ADSL IP-addresses, so
I can no longer use netstat.

So I looked into having tincd telling me which connections are up by
sending a signal (much better anyway). Unfortunately the results are
dumped to the (end of) the log-file, so I have to dig 'm out somehow.
Also my logfiles grow rapidly this way.

Then I tried specifying my own log-file using 'tincd -k=USR1 --logfile',
but that doesn't seem to work. Results are still dumped to the log-file
as specified by the real tincd daemon instead.

What is the easiest way to obtain a report (every minute) on all
connections that are up?

Z.