tinc connection only usable after ping from other side

Moritz Maisel spamfilter at nachtaktiv.org
Fri Jan 16 13:03:31 CET 2004

Hi,

I implemented a little client server scenario with tinc to give a
notebook (connected to the "Server" via WLAN) access to the local lan
(both Linux OS). I'll try to explain the problem I got:

The configuration seems to be ok: The tinc-connection is set up correctly
and after it is set up, the server can ping the client.
The problem is, that after the connection is startet the client isn't
able to ping the server (the server doesn't answer the ping requests).
I first have to ping FROM the server TO the client. After that the client
can also ping the server and has access to the LAN.

Ok, I can tell the server to ping the client after connect via
"hosts/<host>-up" to "open" the connection, but that is a pretty
dirty workaround, I think.

I also tried different routing/address scenarios but I always get this
problem. So i suppose it's a tinc-problem.

Does anyone of you have an idea that could help me?

Thanks,
Moritz

Tinc site:    http://tinc.nl.linux.org/