Problems getting tinc running

Russell Horn tinc at albanach.com
Mon Feb 16 23:57:43 CET 2004

> On Sun, Feb 15, 2004 at 05:41:04PM -0000, Russell Horn wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to make the vpn server have an IP of 10.0.1.1 and the
> > client have 10.0.1.10
>
> If that really is what you want, then:

Thanks for the help here. I've come to learn that "If that's really what
you want" usually means "well here's how to do that, but it isn't going
to do what you think" or something similar.

So, I've done lots of reading over the weekend, upgraded kernels and
torn out hair. Nonetheless, I've made progress, my two configurations
can, at last, connect to one another - I just don't have any data
flowing between the networks.

So, my question (if I still have any question points left) is given my
network configurations, how should I be configuring tinc to connect the
two and get data to flow?

Do I make a new subnet altogether for the VPN? If so, can anyone point
me in the direction of how to get data to flow between the networks?

The office is 10.0.0.3 on network 10.0.0.0/24 with an external IP of
1.2.3.4
Home is 192.168.0.1 on network 192.168.0.0/24 with an external IP of
5.6.7.8

Both external IPs are boxes running tinc and also running NAT for the
internal networks.

I'm happy to do more reading if anyone has any pointers. I've been
through the manual however and would really like to see this work.

Very many thanks!

Russell

Tinc site:    http://tinc.nl.linux.org/