can't ping to an internal IP through tinc's virtual interfaces

Roberto Meyer rmeyer at idr.org.ar
Wed Jul 30 01:39:18 CEST 2003

Guus Sliepen wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 06:45:13PM -0300, Roberto Meyer wrote:
>
> > I tried to ping from pamvirtual, the external machine, to an internal IP
> > of 'isivirtual' but it doesn't work. Neither 'traceroute'.
> > What's going on?
> >
> > At 'isivirtual' routing (ip forwarding) is enabled and iptables is not
> > limiting traffic from virtual interfaces.
>
> Probably wrong configuration of the virtual interface or wrong Subnets.
> Send copies of tinc-up and the host config files so we can see!

As I said, the VPN seems to work ok. I can ping from one machine to the
other one (only to their virtual interfaces). I even configured mail
relaying (exim listens on the virtual IP).

> > I'll begin reading about 'tcpdump' to find where packets don't flow, in
> > the meantime, does tinc limits somehow this kind of traffic?
>
> Tinc, in router mode, only routes packets whose destination address lies
> within a Subnet of any of the nodes.

I configured it in default mode (router), is this the problem? should I
use switch mode?.

ASCII art(?) follows:

     pamvirtual			    isivirtual			 intranet server
   10.10.10.1/32 --------- 10.10.10.2/32
     200.80.x.x            192.168.144.1 -------- 192.168.144.5
	 				    connecto pamvirtual

Pings from 'pamvirtual' to 10.10.10.2 interface answers.
Pings from 'pamvirtual' to 192.168.144.1 don't, of course neither
192.168.144.5 even if I added a route for isivirtual as gateway.

TIA.

-
Roberto
Tinc site:    http://tinc.nl.linux.org/