Problem with more than two Subnets!

Andres Sommerhoff asommerh at chilesat.net
Sun Jul 27 07:47:55 CEST 2003

Thanks Guus, the vpn works fine since three day ago with the new CVS version!

Now I don't have duplicated packets! (Only the router works, but it works fine!). Please see the PENDING QUESTIONS on the bottom, but first the final part of this story (only for reference: this means that is not necessary to read it).

           Thanks for all,

                 Andres Sommerhoff

THE STORY: FINAL PART

The vpn didn't work the first time later the new compilation of the CVS. The vpn device was set right depending on the mode I choused (router -> pointtopoint, switch -> ethernet), but I couldn't establish even a two-hosts VPN. In this case, duplicated packets were better than nothing.

In switch mode, I could ping only other host, but not the subnet behind. I used tcpdump, like Guus had recommended, but the packets for the subnet didn't appear in no device.

In router mode was easy to follow the packets. The tcpdump showed that the ping packet pass-through the internet, reached a computer on the subnet, but its answers did find the path for the return to the source. I was closer. Then I found the problem. I must put the same IP on the pointToPoint device that the internal device! I corrected this on every host (in the "tinc-up" file) and I got a working VPN without duplicated packets!

You can see in the tinc info:

"Note that the IP addresses of eth0 and tap0 are the same.  This is
quite possible, if you make sure that the netmasks of the interfaces
are different."

but I have learned by the hard way!

The End.

PENDING QUESTIONS

Finally, when I had brought up the VPN in router mode I tried to use the switch mode. It didn't work. It is not critical, because I can use the router mode, but I want to know if I'm missing something? What should I do to pass from a working VPN in router mode to a VPN in switch mode? Do I need something special in the config? Do you guess that the problem is in the CVS version?