tinc under Windows

Jason jason+tinclist at truedesign.com
Thu Jul 24 02:12:24 CEST 2003

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003, Guus Sliepen wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> Last week the CVS version of tinc gained the ability to run under
> Windows, in a Cygwin environment (http://www.cygwin.com), making use of
> the virtual network driver from the CIPE project
> (http://cipe-win32.sourceforge.net/). Preparations were also being made
> to support Windows without Cygwin.
>
> Today James Yonan of OpenVPN (http://openvpn.sourceforge.net/) anounced a
> port of OpenVPN to Windows without needing a Cygwin environment, using a
> virtual network driver also derived from the CIPE project.
>
> Thanks to the work of James Yonan and others on OpenVPN I think the port
> of tinc to Windows (without Cygwin) will also soon be realised, just in
> time for the release of version 1.0.
>
> Questions, comments and suggestions are welcome,

This is great news!

The timing is interesting too.. just as I received your
message, I was in the process of composing a message to you or the list that
I had convinced the MixW software authors (www.mixw.net) to donate their
source code for their virtual network driver (MixNic) to use for porting
tinc to windows.  It sounds like you won't need it, but if you're
interested, I can send it along.  The author said to feel free to use/modify
their code and release under GPL/LGPL.

Jason

Tinc site:    http://tinc.nl.linux.org/