Bogus data received from ...

Guus Sliepen guus at sliepen.eu.org
Mon Jan 27 14:22:09 CET 2003

On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 12:01:15AM +0100, Joop Susan wrote:

[...]
> Bogus data received from helix (192.168.192.20 port 33105)
> Closing connection with helix (192.168.192.20 port 33105)

Receiving bogus data during authentication almost certainly means
something is wrong with the keys. Either you misspelled "PrivateKeyFile"
as "PrivateKey" in tinc.conf, or you copied the host configuration files
with the public keys in the wrong way (make sure they are identical with
md5sum).

> [ Are those (null)s debugging code buglets or unavoidable? Looks like
> protocol.c:85 when request is 'ID' and the port is not 'Port', but the
> originating high port number and meta.c:51. ]

We used the fact that most libc's printf() function accept NULL pointers
for %s. The (null) is the name of the other tinc daemon, which isn't
known until the ID message has been sent.

    Guus Sliepen <guus at sliepen.eu.org>