Problem with 'resource temporarily unavailable'

Edward King edk at cendatsys.com
Wed Jan 15 20:10:24 CET 2003

We've got problems running tinc over DSL lines using low cost
routers/modems (at leat I think it's a hardware problem.)

We get error messages such as the following:

Jan 15 11:36:05 stv100 tinc.stv100[2784]: Sending meta data to vpn
(162.37.22.162 port 2007) failed: Resource temporarily unavailable

This doesn't seem to stop tinc -- it keeps going, but the interruption
is enough that rsync thinks the line failed so it waits a minute to retry.

We did use rsync v2.5.5 in one instance to throttle the bandwidth down
to 20KB which worked, but in other locations the problem wouldn't go away.

I've added a delay to meta.c so if it errors out, retry in 1 second
(using usleep(1000)).  I also made an it log every time it was going to
retry and if it fails, log the failure.  the code looks like this:

 if(write(c->socket, bufp, length) < 0) {
                syslog(LOG_ERR, _("Sending meta data to %s (%s) failed
will retry is 1000ms"), c->name,
                                 c->hostname);
                usleep(1000);
                if(write(c->socket, bufp, length) < 0) {
                        syslog(LOG_ERR, _("Sending meta data to %s (%s)
failed: %s"), c->name,
                                   c->hostname, strerror(errno));
                        return -1;
                }
        }

we also changed the mtu on both sides to 1000 -- hoping to possibly
remove problems there.

We now get lots of 'will retry in 1000ms' messages, and very few
'failed' messages.

There are more messages on the sending side of 'Metadata socket error
for vpn' Connection reset by peer' and the other side showing 'Bogus
data received'

I'll be checking into this further to see if I can find a way to
overcome the problem.

Thanks!

Ed
edk at cendatsys.com