rdp and Wi-Fi

Jason jason+tinclist at truedesign.com
Fri Dec 19 21:37:20 CET 2003

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003, Dario Rizzoli wrote:

> I have a problem with an ADSL wi-fi router, a Siemens Santis 50.
> My notebook has a wi-fi card to connect with the ADSL router.
> My home lan is 172.16.1.0/24. My office1 is 192.168.0/24
> I can connect via telnet, icmp, smb, smtp but not from rdp (Windows Terminal
> Services).
> If i connect via modem all works fine!
> From office2 (172.16.7.0) my notebook  with lan cable can connect to office1
> with all protocols.
> This is a very strange thing!
> Can anyone help me?

If it helps, I rdp through tinc all the time so it is most likely not a compatibility
issue between the two.  Does it start to connect but then kinda hangs
displaying the login scrn?  It might be an mtu issue... where large packets
are getting dropped. A friend is having a similar weird issue with rdp
through another (non-tinc) vpn and I suspect an mtu issue for him too..  Try
setting the mtu of the network interface on the windows client (either the
ethernet/wifi port if tinc runs on another box or the tinc tap interface if
tinc is running on your client) to something lower than 1500.. try 1300 or
1400.

Tinc site:    http://tinc.nl.linux.org/