truly dynamic real-internet IP

Jeff Pyle kg8iu at qsl.net
Fri Dec 19 03:35:31 CET 2003

Here's the situation:  I have a pre-existing, perfectly function tinc
VPN of 6 nodes.  Works like a champ.  All the nodes are cable modem
connected linux boxes, with the exception of one static IP elsewhere.
The cable modem dynamic IPs are don't change much, and when they do,
they update an external dynamic DNS service automagically whose
hostnames are referenced in the hosts files.

Now, some Windows-only DSL-connected bum wants to play in my sandbox.
That's two strikes against him.  Ignoring that... (now here comes the
tinc question) does this particular host have to have an IP or hostname
specifed in the Address field of his hosts file?  If no one is ever
going to ConnectTo this person, is this required?  Can the rest of the
nodes retrieve his actual Internet IP from him at the time of his
connection?  Since his IP changes so much on DSL, I'd rather not have to
try to follow it with a hostname.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.  I didn't see this
situation referenced in the manual, but I may have missed something.

Thanks,
Jeff

Tinc site:    http://tinc.nl.linux.org/