Numerous disconections and MaxTimeout appears to be ignored

Guus Sliepen guus at sliepen.eu.org
Fri Dec 5 15:47:23 CET 2003

On Fri, Dec 05, 2003 at 03:28:10PM +0100, Marco Amrein wrote:

> I've compiled Tinc 1.0.2 from source but I'm having trouble. Not only am I
> having disconnections all the time (could be a network issue however) but even
> worse, Tinc is ignoring my MaxTimeout = 60 and is waiting longer and longer
> and longer (logfile shows it at 120 seconds). Is this a bug or have i
> misconfigured anything?

It's a small bug, tinc tries to read MaxTimeout from hosts/frank instead
of tinc.conf. So as a workaround, put it in your hosts/ files.

Seeing that you have TCPOnly = yes, and the error message is:

> Dec  5 11:36:32 frank tinc.vpn[6620]: Sending meta data to zappa (x.x.x.x
> port 655) failed: Resource temporarily unavailable

I believe you're trying to send much more data through your VPN than the
bandwidth of your connection to the Internet. If that's true, then
you should try to limit the amount of traffic that is sent to the
virtual network interface.

    Guus Sliepen <guus at sliepen.eu.org>