ifconfig hw ether and -arp

Robie Basak robie at principle.co.uk
Fri Aug 22 16:35:41 CEST 2003

Hi,

Just thought I'd mention that I spent a while battling with tinc today.
I had quite a weird behaviour - in routing mode, tinc would come up fine
on both hosts, but pinging hosta from hostb wouldn't work until hosta
pinged hostb.

I've used an earlier version of tinc before in a different environment
with no problems, and vaguely remembered a more complicated tinc-up
script, so I dug about in the archives.

My tinc-up now looks like:
ifconfig "$INTERFACE" hw ether fe:fd:0:0:0:0 -arp
ifconfig "$INTERFACE" 10.0.0.1 netmask 255.0.0.0

The first ifconfig line isn't mentioned in the current documentation,
perhaps it should be updated?

Besides that, tinc works perfectly - thank you!

Robie.
--
Robie Basak <robie at principle.co.uk>
Northern Principle Limited