Darwin binary

Tincer tincer at btconnect.com
Sat Aug 9 23:51:27 CEST 2003

Thanks for the prompt help.

There might be some complication about the use of "package"

I wasn't talking about about a Fink distribution package. ( I saw
your request on Fink a while ago).

I was talking about a package that would be recognized by the Mac OS
X installer. These files usually have the .pkg extension. If I
understand the OS X installer correctly such .pkg files can already
contain the compiled binary. In addition they may contain scripts
that make all the necessary directories, move the binary to the
desired location, may create a config file, set permissions etc.

There are two kinds of people working with Mac OS X  (Darwin). The
majority is coming from the traditional GUI only Mac (i.e. OS9  and
earlier), the minority coming from a pure Unix/BSD/Linux/ background.

I am coming from the OS9 background and am willing to use some Unix
commands; however I will never become an Unix expert. I just don't
have the time to learn all the stuff.

If you want more Mac people to use tinc, we would probably need some
"help for Mac dummies", (and an easy installation process).

Please don't misunderstand me. I am grateful that you went through
the trouble of creating a Darwin version at all.

Now I am off to create the /usr/local/etc/tinc directory and the
tinc.conf file. I will let you know about progress.

Tinc site:    http://tinc.nl.linux.org/