Another idea for tinc on windows

Jason jason+tinclist at truedesign.com
Tue Apr 1 01:33:35 CEST 2003

Since the lack of code to implement a virtual network adapter driver
(tun/tap equivalent) seems to be the primary roadblock preventing a tinc
port to Windows, has anyone given any thought to the idea of implementing
a very basic pptp server front-end for the tinc code (in place of the
tun/tap driver) whose sole purpose would be to allow a windows PPTP client
connection to connect to it via a localhost connection?

I know a pptp "server" would not be trivial to code, but it should be
easier to code than a virtual network adapter device driver for windows,
and since it will have a very specific use, it won't have to fully
implement the whole ppp protocol (eliminating all of the authentication
stuff would really ease the coding burden...).

I'm not sure if my coding skills are up to even this task, but if noone
sees any obvious issues, I may try to tackle this someday...

Thoughts?

Tinc site:    http://tinc.nl.linux.org/